Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's Getting Close!!!




Over the River and
Through the Woods

Over the river and thru the wood,
To grandfather's house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh,
Thru the white and drifted snow, oh!
Over the river and thru the wood,
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes,
And bites the nose,
As over the ground we go.

Over the river and thru the wood,
To have a first-rate play;
Oh, hear the bell ring,
"Ting-a-ling-ling!"
Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day-ay!
Over the river and thru the wood,
Trot fast my dapple gray!
Spring over the ground,
Like a hunting hound!
For this is Thanksgiving Day.

I remember this poem/song when I was little.  I even remember singing it in music class.  Mrs. Disney would come to our classrooms and we would stand by our desk and sing.  She would bring this small electric stringed instrument and strum it as we would sing.  
Thanksgiving is getting very close and I'm really excited. I really like this holiday...it's low stress and I love the traditional menu of all that food. All the "boys" on my in law side have a tradition of camping the night before Thanksgiving.  It's a MALE thing! Actually I'm glad I don't have to go! The girls and I get up early and put the turkey in and start the cooking. We turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and eat cinnamon rolls and have coffee while we cook where it's toasty warm. Then later that night  (AFTER football games!) we watch A Miracle on 32nd Street, and eat leftovers. Love the movie...and then I'm officially in "Christmas" mode!



We generally have the same ole' thing on our Thanksgiving table, but the kids like their favorites and like the traditions. Turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, broccoli/carrot/cauliflower casserole, pie, etcetc....Do you have traditions of food at your table? I just might want to "steal" one of your yummy recipes!!  Do you have a special way to decorate your table?  This year I'll have to do all the pies (YIKES!) My Grandma Vivien always did them and then my mom so I guess the torch has passed. I hope hope hope I can somehow even begin to come close to their wonderful expertise on making pies.
It's going to be a little different this year as my dad passed away in July and my mom is in the nursing home. I can hardly wrap my mind around it. So many of you have gone through this and I know it is just part of it. Not sure if Mom will get to come to our house...but very much hoping.  I have honestly only spent 1 Thanksgiving not with my parents (that was the year my husband and I snuck off for a 10 year anniversary cruise). The past 5 or so years we have moved Thanksgiving to my house as it was easier on my parents. This year will be so different without them and I know it will be hard on my family. We do however have something new to celebrate...and that is a new member of our family. My son in law...Blake!! We are so happy our family is growing and we love him dearly. (And perhaps someday I'll get to have little babies filling my kitchen!....hint hint) :0) I feel so lucky we get to have them for this holiday...I realize I will have to share them with his wonderful family. We usually also get together with my in laws side.  That is a big family (30 now) and it is growing and everyone is expanding into their own little families so it's harder to find time to get together. 
My wish for you my cyber-world FRIENDS is that your Thanksgiving is a blessed and happy one. I hope your family is together and it is a day of joy and blessings. I hope that God is the biggest part of it. I hope when you bow your head in prayer, all your prayers are answered. They are for sure heard. You make my days very special when I get to touch base with you. Your blogs are such an uplift to me. I feel so blessed and I must remember to count my blessings....and you are one of them!

8 comments:

Farming On Faith said...

Oh thank you for the sweet memory. I too remember singing this in grade school.
I will be praying for your Holiday season this year~ I know will be bitter sweet. Cherish that wonderful family you have and hold them close!
My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Have a wonderful day. Hope those little fellows give you a break today!

Lacey said...

I though you were working on using paragraph breaks? Wowie wow.

Ok that was my punch.

I'm sitting in my closet office listening to "I'll be home for Christmas" on Pandora, well, just crying my eyes out reading this post.

We'll do the very best we can for Gramma. I think holidays are good for her because she can "reminisce" about Grammy V and Grandpa C.

About time to put up your Santa picture! :)

Simple Home said...

I love that sweet poem/song. I remember singing it too. I'm sorry for the loss of your dad and the changes with your mom. I hope that she can come and enjoy the day with you.
Blessings,
Marcia

Dee said...

Your on my blessing list also.:)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I love that song too, Tanya! I also love reading traditions such as yours! I could just picture it all....the busyness in the kitchen, the laughter, the food, watching the movie that gets you in the Christmas spirit! That's the good stuff! You are truly blessed with so much and what's even better, you KNOW it! We go to my brother's for Thanksgiving and all us girls get up at the crack of dawn the next morning and do the day after Thanksgiving shopping and we're always ready to drop when we come home, but we have so much fun. Thanksgiving with my only living grandparent ( my grandma) is special. Our family is so large that we have to have our dinner at the church fellowship hall! We all eat and eat and then break out the shopping ads while the kids run around playing games! I just love the memories!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Hugs and Blessings,
Tammy

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Tanya,

I forgot to tell you....you have asked a couple of times about my bathroom redo....I have a few accessories for it, but haven't done much. I hope to focus more on it now and maybe get some things for it for Christmas. It will be something to look forward to!

And Joy prefers NOT to go shopping with us! I know that might change sometime in the future, but for now, she's content to sleep in and then hang out with her cousins. She's an outside girl and they go out and have all kinds of adventures. This year I'm hoping Luke will stay with her and Jason. He usually wants to be with either me or her or both! And yes, I'll let you know how it goes! This year we're shopping more on a budget so I'll be more selective! :)

Thank you too for your sweet comments! I enjoy them so much!

Hugs and Blessings,
Tammy

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Isn't Tammy the greatest? She is such a sweetie and is always an inspiration to be a good mom and christian!

Thanks so much for your nice comments on my blog. I sure enjoyed looking through your post and the fun music while reading! Enjoy your weekend!

Janean said...

what wonderful descriptions of your traditions....all warm and fuzzy...adore it!

a teacher named disney? cool!