Saturday, September 25, 2010

Nostalgia

 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition

NOSTALGIA

Oh my! My cousin just sent me a forward about Woolworths!

I wondered who to send this to - who would actually remember eating at a Woolworth's.


Isn't it fun just to receive an e-mail that doesn't make you crazy but just brings back good memories?
 
 
Well, I'm definitely one of those! I immediately wrote him and told him (his momma and my Grandma Vivien were sisters) that I have such fond and happy memories of going with Grandma to Woolworths as a little girl.  Gma had red hair and so do I and I'm sure I looked like her little Mini-Me marching in right behind her.
 
This is a store that looked very similar to the one we went to.
 
 She would put me at the counter
 
and order me a milkshake and then proceed to get her "goodies". Imagine back then being able to leave and shop a few feet away and not have your child abducted.  Oh the joy I felt watching them make that milkshake. The stainless steel cup, the machine that mixed it, and then it was poured in a tall chilled glass cup with a tall spoon and a straw. 
 
 Before I knew it Gma would be back to collect me and we would go check out and off we would go. I couldn't wait to visit her again so we could have our special time at Woolworths!
 
AHHHHHHH sweet memories....

6 comments:

PBKISSES said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
We love Woolworth's and just finished a book about its founder FW Woolworth. Kids really liked it-wish there was one still around!
Love ya!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh Tanya, I remember eating there! When I saw that menu, my heart did a little flip. You know those were the days when we rarely ate out (not like today), so it was such a treat! I remember it well! Thanks for bringing that memory back and to putting a smile on my face!

Oh my last post, you asked about the room sprays: I bought them from The Prim Shack on Etsy. Here's the link to her etsy store listing of them:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51978388/4-ounce-primitive-room-spray-home-mist?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=primitive+room+sprays&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title

Also I just found out that Carmen C. sells them on her blog. I didn't know that at the time I ordered these. Here is the link:

http://carmensscentedtreasures.blogspot.com/2010/08/stuffed-up-feed-bags.html

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! I apprecate each and every one! Have a great week, my friend! :)

Hugs,
Tammy

Janean said...

oh yeah....woolworths was soooooo cool.

Happy@Home said...

Such sweet memories you have shared of special times with your grandma at Woolworth's. I remember going to Woolworth's and SS Kresge's and sitting at those counters. This post brought back such fond memories.
I just read your previous post and want to wish you a happy belated birthday. How wonderful to be with (most of) your family to celebrate. I swear you could pass for another sister of your daughters.
Hope you are doing fine. I always enjoy your comments and find them to be such a blessing.

Farming On Faith said...

I worked at the mall when I was 16 at Thom McCann. I would go over to the Woolworths counter to eat.
Oh this really did bring back sweet memories.

Dee said...

Fun memories..I have memories just like yours of a store called Kresge's.